Columbia Tourism Ambassadors Volunteer Information
Interested in joining the Columbia Tourism Ambassadors? The first step is to complete the Columbia Tourism Ambassador (CTA) Class and earn your CTA designation. This will ensure that you are knowledgeable about Columbia's attractions and also trained in customer service principals. Learn more about the CTA Program at www.CTANetwork.com.
Complete an application: Application to Volunteer
The Columbia Tourism Ambassadors replaces the original Columbia Hospitality Corp, started in 2009. Ambassadors learn about the importance of tourism and the economic impact tourism has on Columbia as a tourism destination. The program was developed to meet a number of needs related to visitor relations:
- Staff the City Hall Visitors Center
CTA Volunteers will staff the City Hall Visitors Center located inside the lobby of City Hall, 701 East Broadway. Tasks will include greeting visitors, answering questions, providing information, and restocking brochures.
- Shift times at the City Hall Visitor Center are 10:00am til 2:00pm and 2:00pm til 6:00pm, Monday through Saturday. Current volunteers must login to view schedules and other program related information.
Access the City Hall Visitors Center Schedule
- Contact the Volunteer Programs at volunteer@GoColumbiaMO.com or 874-7499 for information on accessing this schedule.
- Assist with providing information on Columbia at special events
Columbia Tourism Ambassadors may have information about Columbia at special events that many out of town visitors are attending, such as conventions, competitions, and functions in our community. The Convention & Visitors Bureau will provide the materials; you may be needed for display set up and tear down and to share information and answer questions from our visitors.
Share information on local events and attractions. Volunteers may distribution information on what is going on in Columbia to restaurants and stores.
Columbia Tourism Ambassadors will be expected to…
- Complete the four-hour CTA Training class prior to volunteering.
- Commit to volunteering at least quarterly in some capacity that may include staffing the City Hall Visitor's Center or helping at a special event.
- Be a friendly face for the City of Columbia – first impressions count! You will be an ambassador for our businesses and residents.
- Have a neat appearance. Volunteers will be provided a shirt and name tag to wear after working three shifts. You are asked to wear navy or khaki pants or skirts that are in good condition while volunteering.
- Fulfill your commitment. If you have signed up to volunteer, please show up – we are counting on you! If you cannot fill your volunteer time, please call as soon as you are aware so a replacement can be found.
- Be knowledgeable about Columbia, our amenities and attractions. Much of this will be common knowledge to you, but it will still be helpful if you take time to learn more about Columbia’s restaurants, hotels, parks, and events so that you can share this with those visiting our city.
- Share feedback on your experience as a volunteer. We know there may be many ways that we can improve the program so that you can be a more effective volunteer. We want to hear your ideas and suggestions!
Volunteers interested in serving in the Columbia Hospitality Corps must agree to a screening process, including a background check and interview, before being placed in this program.
Columbia Convention & Visitors Bureau
City of Columbia– Volunteer Programs