Contact: Captain Lisa Todd
Duty PIO Pager 573-441-6608 (For active emergency incidents - Leave detailed message)
Office 573-874-7503 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
At 3:17 a.m. Thursday, May 22, 2014 the Columbia and Boone County Fire Departments were dispatched to a report of a residential structure fire in north-eastern Columbia. Fire crews arrived on the scene at approximately 3:25 a.m. to find the single wide mobile home fully involved in fire.
Using multiple hose lines fire crews were able to control the fire within ten minutes.
There were four adults and five children in the structure at the time of the fire. The fire was discovered when one of the occupants smelled smoke and alerted the other occupants. Several occupants had to escape through windows. One adult was transported for arm lacerations from breaking a window. One infant was transported for possible smoke inhalation. A second adult was treated at the scene for lacerations but declined transportation to the hospital.
Columbia Assistant Fire Marshal Tim Bach investigated the fire and determined it originated at a window air conditioning unit. AFM Bach estimates the structure and contents damage at $40,000. The Red Cross is providing the occupants with emergency assistance. There were no working smoke alarms in the residence.
Three Fire Engines, one Ladder truck and a Rescue squad responded to the incident. Units were on the scene for approximately two hours.
The Columbia Fire Department wants to remind residents that working smoke alarms do save lives. Test your smoke alarms at least once a month by pressing the test button. Replace smoke alarm batteries at least once a year. Replace smoke alarms every 10 years. To ensure adequate protection, place smoke alarms in every sleeping room, and in a common area on every floor.