Contact: Battalion Chief Brad Fraizer
Duty PIO Pager 573-441-6608 (24 hours - Leave detailed message)
Office 573-874-7557 (M-F, 8-5)
The origin of the fire was initially reported as apartment '102'. This was incorrect. The fire originated in apartment 314. The occupants of the this apartment were not home at the time of the fire.
At 11:32 a.m. Tuesday, April 09, 2013, the Columbia Fire Department responded to a reported fire in an apartment building at 103 Stadium Blvd, the Ash Street Place apartments. The 9-1-1 caller reported smoke in the three story building and fire visible on the roof.
Columbia firefighters arrived on the scene at 11:37 a.m. and reported smoke and fire on the third floor of the apartment building. The fire had breached the ceiling of one of the apartments and entered the attic space that ran the length of the building. Due to the size of the building and the rapid fire spread, nine minutes into the incident, at 11:46 a.m. , the incident commander requested a second-alarm assignment, bringing additional personnel and three more fire trucks and a breathing-air supply truck to the scene.
Firefighters used both ground hose lines and elevated hose lines on ladder trucks to battle the blaze and the fire was considered under control in approximately one hour. Crews remained on the scene for more than five hours extinguishing hot spots and attempting to salvage or protect the building contents.
The 66 unit apartment building is uninhabitable tonight and a more thorough evaluation of the building will occur tomorrow to determine if parts of the building can be reoccupied. Six apartments and the roof sustained heavy fire damage. Many of the remaining units have smoke and water damage. The American Red Cross is assisting tenants with temporary housing and emergency needs.
Columbia Assistant Fire Marshal Lt. Brian Davison investigated the fire and determined the fire originated as the result of an electrical malfunction in a third floor apartment bathroom light fixture. Damage to the structure and contents is estimated at $450,000. The building is owned by Mills Properties in St. Louis, Missouri.
A total of seven fire trucks, one ladder truck, a rescue squad and several support vehicles responded to the incident. There were no injuries. Several cats were safely removed from building.