The City of Columbia has an alarm ordinance. The ordinances are listed in Chapter 13 of the Municipal Code. They are:
It is required by Section 13-255 that certain information be provided to the Public Safety Joint Communications Center. The information required is as follows:
For Alarm Systems
- The address and telephone number of the building the alarm is installed in.
- The name of the business or other use. (If private residence, the name of the person the telephone is listed.)
- If a hold up alarm is installed, a number that can be accessed inside the building for information regarding the status of the alarm.
- If the alarm is installed in a premises other than a private residence, the
names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three
(3) responsible persons who can respond to the alarm
within 30 minutes notice of responding agencies.
- If the alarm is installed in a private residence, the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two (2) responsible parties who can respond to the location of the alarm within 30 minutes notice of responding agencies.
- The building owner's name, address, and telephone number.
- What type of alarm: Burglar Fire Both
- Name and telephone number of the monitoring alarm agency (if applicable).
You may register your system on line. Or you
may request a form by calling our office at (573)
874-7400 during business hours.
Electric's Medical Alert Program: Persons
on life support equipment can receive priority
service during power outages.