Section 16-69 Response to nonpayment.

    (a) When an offender sentenced to pay a fine defaults in the payment of the fine or in any installment, the court upon motion of the city counselor or upon its own motion may require him to show cause why he should not be imprisoned for nonpayment. The court may issue a warrant of arrest or a summons for his appearance.

    (b) Following an order to show cause under paragraph (a) of this section, unless the offender shows that his default was not attributable to an intentional refusal to obey the sentence of the court, or not attributable to a failure on his part to make a good faith effort to obtain the necessary funds for payment, the court may order the defendant imprisoned for a term not to exceed thirty (30) days if the fine was imposed for conviction of a misdemeanor or infraction. The court may provide in its order that payment or satisfaction of the fine at any time will entitle the offender to his release from such imprisonment or, after entering the order, may at any time reduce the sentence for good cause shown, including payment or satisfaction of the fine.

    (c) If it appears that the default in the payment of a fine is excusable under the standards set forth in paragraph (b) of this section, the court may enter an order allowing the offender additional time for payment, reducing the amount of the fine or of each installment, or revoking the fine or the unpaid portion in whole or in part.

    (d) When a fine is imposed on a corporation it is the duty of the person or persons authorized to make disbursement of the assets of the corporation and their superiors to pay the fine from the assets of the corporation. The failure of such persons to do so shall render them subject to imprisonment under paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section.

    (e) Upon default in the payment of a fine or any installment thereof, the fine may be collected by any means authorized for the enforcement of money judgments.

(Code 1964, § 7.535)
     State law reference(s)--Similar provisions, RSMo. § 560.031.